MELBOURNE SINGERS OF GOSPEL IS A CHOIR OF 100 VOICES THAT WANTS THE EXPERIENCE OF SINGING TOGETHER TO BE TRANSFORMATIVE FOR MEMBERS AND AUDIENCES.
These annual internships form part of MSG’s commitment to providing developmental pathways for young people in music and raising their participation in choirs.
About this position:
As an intern you will be a member of the musical leadership team of the choir and your musical skills will be integral to its training and development program. In return for your support at rehearsals and performances, the committee offers you payment, a profile on our website and experience and training in the musical leadership of choral groups.
About the choir:
The Musical Director is Dr Darren Wicks, who is supported by a Music Team comprised of section leaders, interns, rehearsal pianist, librarian and movement coach. Each section (SATB) is lead by a Section Leader. The choir is managed by a Committee of Management and advised on musical matters by the Music Team and Musical Director.
The choir’s home genre is gospel, but its repertoire ranges through soul, a cappella, RnB, blues, jazz, rock, folk, musical, funk and pop. The choir rehearses weekly during school terms on Tuesday evenings in Port Melbourne while performances take place in a range of venues seating between 250 and 500 people with professional musicians, light and sound. Recent venues have included; The Edge at Federation Square, James Tatoulis auditorium at MLC, the Famous Spiegeltent, South Melbourne Town Hall and St Kilda Town Hall.
The choir draws members from throughout Metropolitan Melbourne and 30% are male. Members range in age from 18 and 80 with a median age of 40-45. Members come with diverse musical backgrounds, although more than half have historical or current singing and performing experience. MSG is un-auditioned and there is no sight-reading requirement although some members have that training. MSG is not affiliated with any church or religious group.
- Attend at least 80% of rehearsals and gigs
- Support the sound of the section by providing a strong confident role model
- Encourage singers by helping them develop their sound and vocal technique
- Pass on relevant issues concerning the section to the Section Leader
- Work with the Musical Director to develop your capacity to lead and conduct vocal groups
- Lead or assist with a warm-up or sectional rehearsal as required
- Assist Music Team decision-making as required
- Assist with creating practice tracks as required
- Volunteer for other opportunities as they arise
- Musical Director for musical development, week to week duties, feedback and review
- Section Leader for attendance
- President for terms and conditions of engagement
- Treasurer for payment of invoices
- Up to 4 positions may be available each year. One in each section.
Duration of appointment:
- July to July (or pro rata)
- Exemplary second year students may be renewed for a second year
- We expect you to attend 80% of events:
- each calendar year features 40-50 rehearsals
- each calendar year features 8-12 performances
- you are welcome to attend socials and participate in the private MSG Facebook group
- you are a part of the Music Team and will be invited to take part in some meetings and/or decisions
- you are a contractor and cannot take part in general meetings of the Association
- Members will be aware of your appointment as an intern.
- You can audition for a solo, but you are expected support members in their auditioning rather than dominating solo opportunities.
- Call fee will be due for each 4 hours of attendance (overnight stays by negotiation)
- A call might refer to a rehearsal, gig or music camp
- Payments are made by EFT and only upon submission of an invoice.
- Payment frequency by negotiation
- Calls attended are audited against Attendance Sheets
Interns form part of our general approach to promotion. For instance, your image will be included on the MSG website and your appointment and achievements will be used in stories on social media.
Interns may be afforded a special performance spot in MSG’s end-of-year gala concerts. These opportunities come with audio/video recording and photos that MSG grant you rights to use in a portfolio or showreel.
At the end of your appointment we offer:
- a review and feedback process
- a letter of referral
- an on-going presence on MSG website
Key selection criteria
Applications that do not meet the key selection criteria will not progress.
- aged between 18 to 25 at time of application. Strong mature aged students up to age 30 may also be considered
- studying voice at a tertiary level for the duration of the appointment. Recently graduated students in their first one to two years of working in music (for example education, with a vocal and/or choral element) may also be considered
- ability to attend 80% of all rehearsals and gigs (on time)
- excellent communication skills when working in groups and teams
- demonstrate musical skills and interests
- experience singing in choral groups
- demonstrate prior skills in conducting
- capacity to lead and motivate groups
Students studying music or performance may be considered.
Contact person and details
If you have any questions please contact Dr Darren Wicks, Musical Director, Melbourne Singers of Gospel at email@example.com